The West Australian Curriculum: English aims to ensure that students:
- learn to listen to, read, view, speak, write, create and reflect on increasingly complex and sophisticated spoken, written and multimodal texts across a growing range of contexts with accuracy, fluency and purpose
- appreciate, enjoy and use the English language in all its variations and develop a sense of its richness and power to evoke feelings, convey information, form ideas, facilitate interaction with others, entertain, persuade and argue
- understand how Standard Australian English works in its spoken and written forms and in combination with non-linguistic forms of communication to create meaning
- develop interest and skills in inquiring into the aesthetic aspects of texts, and develop an informed appreciation of literature.
An achievement standard describes the quality of learning (the extent of knowledge, the depth of understanding and the sophistication of skills) that would indicate the student is well placed to commence the learning required at the next level of achievement.
At Bertram we have created a summary of the Achievement Standards in English and Mathematics and provided examples of how you can support your child to meet the Achievement Standards.
Bertram 1000 Sight Words
The Bertram 1000 Sight Words are a whole school approach which incorporates the Dolch Sight Words and Fry’s Words in order to promote greater reading fluency and spelling of everyday words.
You can help your child in a variety of ways:
- Practise reading and spelling the words at home
- Read the words aloud with your child
- Listen to your child spell the words and check they are spelling the words correctly in their writing
- Encourage your child to write the words in sentences
Whole School Targets:
|By the end of:||Read||Spell|
|Pre-Primary||Lists 1 – 10 by sight and in context||Lists 1 & 2 correctly|
|Year 1||Lists 1 – 20 by sight and in context||Lists 1 – 5 correctly|
|Year 2||Lists 1 – 40 by sight and in context||Lists 1 – 12 correctly|
|Year 3||Lists 1 – 55 by sight and in context||Lists 1 – 24 correctly|
|Year 4||Lists 1 – 70 by sight and in context||Lists 1 – 35 correctly|
|Year 5||Lists 1 – 100 by sight and in context||Lists 1 – 60 correctly|
|Year 6||Lists 1 – 100 by sight and in context||Lists 1 – 100 correctly|